MAPQSLMississippi Alternate Path to Quality School Leadership Program
MAPQSL will be accepting applications for the 2018 – 2019 program year from November 8, 2017 to March 19, 2018
What is MAPQSL?
The Mississippi Community College Foundation is pleased to offer the Mississippi Alternate Path to Quality School Leadership (MAPQSL). This program is offered in collaboration with the Institute for Education and Workforce Development and utilizes the National Institute for School Leadership’s research-based curriculum.
- Fifteen (15) days summer training beginning June 4th and ending June 22nd
- Nine (9) Saturday sessions during the school year which may include a combination of webinars, online coursework, and/or face-to-face training
- One year internship consisting of 1000 hours for the year in a school district and completion of a portfolio and action learning project with an approved successful principal as a mentor
- Supervision and mentorship through a certified NISL MAPQSL faculty member with onsite visits twice a year
What’s included in the training?
The training program for MAPQSL candidates includes the following components:
- Summer Training – Participants accepted into the program must successfully complete the 15-day administrator training program offered from June 4 – June 22, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., at one of three community college program sites. Participants must attend all sessions to obtain the One-Year Alternate Route Assistant Administrator license #494.
- Saturday Sessions – Participants must complete the MAPQSL Practicum, including nine (9) Saturdays during the school year following the summer program (one per month from August to May). All summer program participants will complete the Practicum while they are serving the one year internship so that they will be eligible for the five-year alternate route license when an administrative position becomes available.
- Internship – Program participants must participate in an internship for 1000 hours for the year under an approved successful principal or district administrator. The one-year internship will include supervision and mentorship by NISL MAPQSL faculty and the approved district mentor. During the internship, the mentor must validate work completed toward goals of the program decided by the district mentor and NISL MAPQSL faculty through provided logs. In order to receive the 5 year administrator’s license, participants must also successfully complete the School Leadership Licensure Assessment (SLLA) test. The cost of the SLLA is $425.00 and is at the participant’s expense.
This program will be available to K-12 educators who meet the following qualifications:
- Currently employed in a Mississippi school system
- Master’s degree or higher from an accredited Institution of Higher Learning
- Valid Class AA Mississippi educator license
- Minimum three (3) years of teaching experience
- Principles of Learning & Teaching (PLT through ETS.org) in any grade except pre-K
When program participants have completed the summer training program, the 9-day practicum, and have passed the SLLA, they may apply for a five (5) year Entry-level Administrator license. This five-year license is non-renewable. Licensure guidelines require that new alternate route administrators holding the five-year Entry-level license will be required to complete SEMI Entry-level Orientation to School Leadership (OSL) training and six (6) hours of Educational Leadership coursework to be eligible for a Career-level Administrator license. The university coursework will be at the participant’s expense. The university credit and OSL work can also be completed during the internship year.
If you would like to be considered as a candidate for the MAPQSL program, please visit our website at mccfms.org, click on MAPQSL and you will be able to download the application. The deadline for MAPQSL applications to be submitted to the MS Community College Foundation is March 19, 2018. No tuition fee beyond the $50.00 deposit is required unless you are notified that you have been selected as a participant in the MAPQSL program.
Where is the training offered?
MAPQSL will host classes at 2 or 3 sites at strategically located community college campuses in central, north central, and south central Mississippi. The number of sites will depend upon overall enrollment.
MAPQSL 2018 Program Costs
Submit a $50.00 non-refundable fee, which will be applied to the $3950.00 tuition if the applicant is selected. If selected, $2600.00 will be due by May 8, 2018. The balance of $1300.00 will be due in two installments – $650.00 by September 10, 2018 and $650.00 by November 12, 2018. All payments are to be made by cashier’s check or money order, with the applicant’s name on the “memo” line.
The deadline for MAPQSL applications to be submitted to the MCCF is March 19, 2018.